Sunday, February 10, 2013

Heart of a Warrior by Johanna Lindsey



           Stunning, statuesque Brittany Callaghan isn’t used to seeing Nordic gods in her tiny California town. But when the spectacular blond Viking – who name is Dalden – turns up at her doorstep, Brittany knows her dream man is very real. Dalden claims to be a barbarian warrior – and since Brittany’s passion has been running red-hot since she first saw him, the sexy giant can fancy himself anything he pleases!
            The truth is a very rude awakening – for Dalden is exactly what he claims to be: a warrior to the depths of his soul from a place where the women always obey. Intelligent, independent Brittany isn’t about to be subservient to any male – not even one who’s everything she ever wanted in a lover. But the proud, powerful barbarian is accustomed to fighting for what he wants – and winning. And what he wants most of all…is Brittany.

            I really think that Johanna Lindsey took the phrase “he/she is out of your world” and took it to a whole new level. I am a huge Johanna Lindsey fan so I’ll try to be objective. Just to let you know, she was the first romance author I started reading. I had most of her collection at one point but since it was actually my mother’s collection I didn’t get to keep it. Then my mom got rid of it! I was so mad! Now I’m trying to collect them all again.
            Okay, for this book…The plot seems pretty simple. Dalden came to Earth to track down Jorran who was going to use mind altering rods to become ‘king’ of the planet. When Dalden was set down in the middle of the mall, he met Brittany. She has a hang up about being with a taller man than herself. Dalden is perfect because he’s so much taller than she is. Dalden finds Jorran with her help and he takes her back to his home planet. She doesn’t believe him until she’s attacked. Most of the book is about getting her to believe. Also there’s a happy ending.
            One part of the book that actually works yet I’m not very fond of, is that in the second half of the book Dalden pretty much quits talking. Most of the second half of the book is spent inside Brittany’s head and her talking to Martha, the computer. I think it works well for the writing style but it’s supposed to be a romance story about Dalden and Brittany, not Brittany’s relationship with Martha.  I liked that Dalden finally got tired of it and banned Martha.
            I sort of wish there was a part two to this book. Another story with Brittany and Dalden about what happens now, after they admit to being in love and she accepts that she really is on another planet in another star system. Perhaps she will tell us in another book.
            In the end I am rating this book 4.5 stars. It was well written, the story flowed, the characters were interesting, the background was believable, and in general it was a good story. The sex was nothing ‘out of this world’ but it wasn’t meant to be and that’s fine. Perhaps I wasn’t so objective, but what can I say? I love her writing!

Publisher: Harper Collins
ISBN: 0-380-81479-X
Price: $7.99 (cover)
www.johannalindsey.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment