Saturday, February 9, 2013

The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger by Stephen King



This heroic fantasy is set in a world of ominous landscape and macabre menace that is a dark mirror of our own. A spellbinding tale of good versus evil, it features one of Stephen King’s most powerful creation – The Gunslinger, a haunting figure who embodies the qualities of the lone hero through the ages from ancient myth to frontier western legend. His pursuit of The Man in Black, his liaison with the sexually ravenous Alice, his friendship with the kid from Earth called Jake, are part of a drama that is both grippingly realistic and eerily dreamlike, an alchemy of storytelling sorcery.

I’ll let you know right up front that I struggled to read this book. It wasn’t the writing or the content…it was that I am usually not interested in this type of book. However, I have been wanting to read this book for pretty close to ten years. So, I sat my butt down and got through reading it.
I am pleased to say that for the most part it was a good story. The story starts with Roland, for the most part the nameless gunslinger, walking across the desert in pursuit of the Man in Black, Walter. I was surprised that even through Stephen King gives you the names of the characters, he really preferred you focus the fact that it was the Gunslinger versus the Man in Black. Usually authors want you to get invested in the feelings and emotions of the characters. In this case he uses flashbacks to bring us up to date on what has happened in the characters pasts.
The side characters are generally not much to talk about. However, I was really saddened by the events with the little boy, Jake. His end made me so sad I almost quit reading. Yet I knew that it was important that it happened the way it did. Still, Stephen King I don’t like his ending! Perhaps if I read more of the series there is a chance that Jake will be brought back or perhaps he changed worlds…like how he was brought to this one.
The pace of this story felt grueling. Just like the characters journey. I guess that makes an ironic sort of sense. It’s not bad just not quick paced. There was one part of the story when the gunslinger meets the man in black and they are talking that the man in black gets very philosophical. He’s talking about the universe and relativity and size. If you have ever taken a religious studies class and found it enjoyable you would like this section. Perhaps two or three pages, it was very informative and deep.
In the end I am rating this book 3 stars. It was good but just not my flavor. I’m sure many other people would rate this closer to 5. I could see how they would but in personal preference, my rating was slightly lower.

Publisher: Nal Penguin, Inc.
ISBN: 0-452-26134-1
Price: $10.95 (cover)
Color Illustrations by Michael Whelan
www.stephenking.com

No comments:

Post a Comment