Friday, May 24, 2013

Cemetery Dance by Preston & Child



Journalist Slain…
            William Smithback Jr., a prominent New York Times reporter, was killed in a brutal attack last night in his Upper West Side apartment. His wife, Nora Kelly, an archaeologist at the Museum of Natural History, was injured as well. Multiple eyewitnesses identified the assailant as a neighbor in the building, Colin Fearing: a man who, by all reports, was dead and buried ten days ago. There are reports that FBI Special Agent Pendergast has taken an interest in the case, but no further…

            Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child know how to weave a mystery with the alluring figure of Agent Aloysius Pendergast. This story is one of intrigue because someone is making it seem like a zombie has risen from the grave, killed a reporter, and is attacking his wife. The question becomes is the zombie real?
            My grandmother talked me into reading this book. I generally do not like mystery novels and I will blame that on attempting to read Sherlock Holmes. Sherlock Holmes books do not reveal the how, why, and, in general, do not explain what happened at the end. This, however, is different. I am finding that most novels do explain their process in the end. Perhaps a better way to describe that is that they show you how they connect the dots. I NEED this!
            Agent Pendergast is a really fascinating character. Let me start by saying the main character (for the most part) in this book is Lieutenant Vincent D’Agosta. However, in the background is Agent Pendergast. I spent a good chunk of this book going ‘what is he doing?’ because he’s dinking around in the background. It all comes together in the end, but I was hooked with reading, not just because it’s a good story, but because I wanted to know what in the hell Agent Pendergast was doing.
            I wish I could say that Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child blended their writing seamlessly together and that I couldn’t tell the difference…unfortunately, I cannot. I can say that they almost got away with it. There were certain parts where it really did flow seamlessly together but there were other parts where you could tell that two different authors with two different writing styles were collaborating. However, I think that might also be because I am an aspiring writer myself. I look for those sorts of things. If you haven’t noticed it, don’t look for it. You don’t want to ruin the book by noticing something beyond the author’s control.
            I really did like the descriptions given in the book. I don’t know what dictionary they are looking at but I want it. The words used are not ones I usually read and that makes it interesting to me. I’ve read hundreds of books in my lifetime and to come across a book that makes me look up words is something to treasure. I do suggest that you have the internet or a dictionary in the house while reading. It’s not something that you need for every chapter…just every so often.
            In general I really liked this book so I am rating it 4 stars!

Publisher: Hachette Book Group
ISBN: 978-0-446-61869-4
Price: $9.99 (Cover)

www.prestonchild.com

No comments:

Post a Comment