Saturday, May 18, 2013

Wolf River by Jill Gregory




New York City children’s author Erinn Winters is haunted by a past no one knows, and dark visions of death and danger that come to her without warning. But when a desperate search for her estranged sister leads her to Wolf River, Montana, Erinn suddenly finds her secrets, even her very life, at risk. And after meeting notoriously sexy Jase Fortune, Erinn finds herself in another kind of dangers – she could lose her heart.
Jase Fortune is as committed to staying single as he is to running his booming family ranch – until mysterious, gorgeous Erinn shows up. But someone is out to destroy the Fortunes, and Jase finds himself willing to do anything to protect not only his family but Erinn too. As the peril mounts, so do Erinn’s and Jase’s feelings for each other, but the promise of love is threatened by deadly secrets and vicious enemies, and a killer who will stop at nothing…

Wolf River is about Erinn out to find her sister. She ends up in a tiny Montana town and her sister is shacked up with a guy who truly cares about her, but he’s living with his brother and his brother is not good news. As Erinn tries to gain her sister’s trust, she makes friends with some of the most prominent member of the town’s society and meets Jase. Jase finds himself helping her, then caring for her, then eventually loving her.
At first I wasn’t sure if I would like this book. From the description above it sounds a lot like a mystery novel. I am not too keen on mystery novels but keep giving them a chance. I am glad I did for this book. Surprisingly, it wasn’t really big into the ‘keep the reader in the dark because I’m a mystery book’ feel but rather it felt like if information was withheld it was because even the author didn’t know what was going to happen. This made for a great read.
I was surprised at the twist ending. I won’t give it away but it definitely made me really think back on the rest of the book to remember what was given away and if I could have guessed earlier in the book. I don’t think I could have and that made it such a great twist. Good job, Jill.
In general, I really liked the flow of the book. It kept pace and delivered information mixed into whatever was going on. It didn’t feel like an information dump or an attempt to have the readers catch up to what was going on. I really liked the fact that even though it was a mystery, it kept most of the focus on the relationships between the characters. So for all of that, I am giving this book 4.25 stars.

Publisher: Bantam Dell
ISBN: 978-0-440-24304-5
Price: $6.99 (cover)
www.jillgregory.net

No comments:

Post a Comment