Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Ever After by Nora Roberts


Ever After follows an enchanting woman as she journeys to an otherworldly land – and introduces a handsome artist to the transforming power of love…

            Ever After is the story about Allena Kennedy finding her way to an island in a storm where she is rescued/taken in by Conal O’Neil. Conal has been fighting a prophecy about his family that every hundred years two people who are in love (him and someone else) pledge to each other in the circle of stones near his family home. He has been fighting it but he can’t fight his attraction and love for Allena.
            Okay…I did a better job summing up this story than the cover did! Plus the internet has let me down. I couldn’t find a description of this book by itself. It’s in a three-in-one book called A Little Magic and it’s the only place it’s referenced. Yet the copyright in the inside says that it was published, or at least copyrighted, in 1999. But I couldn’t even find it by itself on Nora Roberts website. I guess if I downloaded the complete booklist I might have found it…
            The story of Allena and Conal is one about predestined fates and the way that people fight against it, rather the way Conal was fighting against it. Allena seemed to revel in the fact that she was on an Irish island and was surrounding by the magic that was the island. It was really nice to see that Allena didn’t fit in anywhere else but she fit in perfectly at Conal’s home.
            My favorite part was Conal’s definition of love. “He’d wakened reaching for her. How could a man spend one night with a woman, then find his bed so cold, so empty when she wasn’t in it? Then that panic, that drawing down in the gut, when he hadn’t been able to find her. Was there a name for this other than love?” (page179). Now I haven’t actually put the whole quote here. I just pulled the sentences pertinent to my point. He knew he loved her but didn’t want to admit it.
            This book was so fun to read. Personally I really want to go visit Ireland and Nora Roberts allows me to picture it in my head. She brings the characters to life and makes me want to go visit them and make sure they are continually happy.
            In the end I am rating this book 4.25 stars. It was really good, I just wish it was longer.

Publisher: The Berkeley Publishing Group
ISBN: 0-425-18318-1(A Little Magic)
Price: $13.95 (cover)
www.noraroberts.com

No comments:

Post a Comment