Monday, October 15, 2012

MacKenzie's Meltdown by Amber Carlton




Computer crash. Backstabbing co-worker. Meddling mom. Dead battery. No chocolate. In the hands of two gorgeous hunks, Mackenzie's meltdown just changed directions. 

Mackenzie’s Meltdown by Amber Carlton is about Mackenzie Dawson having a really bad day and while she’s at the grocery store she meets her two sanity saviors, Micky Dunham and Sean Anderson. They take her home and become part of her life.
            In the beginning of the book there is a comment about Mackenzie’s mother being interested in younger men and Mackenzie has ‘Mrs. Robinson’ as her mother’s ringtone. I don’t know if Amber Carlton is trying to say this tendency runs in the family, but it is a pretty funny/ironic and I was satisfied that there wasn’t some subtext that I was supposed to understand.
            “I like my heels. They make me taller, and I like the clicky noises they make. Besides, I feel more grown-up in heels.” This quote made me laugh when I read it because it really reflects my own personal view on heels. However my ability to wear heels is not very good. The reflection of the character wearing heels and being a power dressed corporate worker working her ass off for a promotion is something that a lot of working women can relate to. Especially the referenced man, Gary Marks, who is riding her coattails and attempting to steal the promotion from her.
            The conversation with ‘mom’ in the beginning of the book was funny. “‘I don’t know what is wrong with you, but you sound positively unhinged.’ ‘I am, Mom. Definitely unhinged. And you’re removing the last pin.’” This was funny because I’ve wanted to use this exact line before.
            Overall this book is short, maybe 50 pages. Still it is really good. The sex scenes are worth reading and the character development is good for such a short story. Overall I give this story 3 stars.

Publisher: Siren Publishing
ISBN: 1-60601-449-8 (Tasty Treats Anthology vol. 1)
Price: $7.99 (e-book on bookstrand.com)
www.ambercarlton.com

No comments:

Post a Comment