Monday, October 15, 2012

When Twilight Comes by B.J. Daniels




Phantom Lover…
He’d waited for this day – this woman – for forever it seemed. Harry Ballantine had been a prisoner of Fernhaven forest and now he found the key to his salvation in Jenna Dante. But would she surrender to him before she left the hidden hamlet?
Or Figment Of Her Imagination?
With an angry ex on her tail and rain pouring, the last thing Jenna Dante needed was car trouble and a cranky child. Her only option was to seek refuge in the desolate hotel on the hill in Fernhaven. But the restored walls seemed to hold more than memories. For Jenna they vibrated with life and an all-male seduction she could only see and feel I her mind. But when danger came to call, she would need flesh-and-blood protection – and maybe something more lethal…like transcending love.

When I originally picked up this story I thought it was going to be a cheesy romance novella that wouldn’t really satisfy my craving for a short story. Boy was I wrong. I’m glad I was too. This story is about Jenna fleeing her ex husband after she rescued her child and unknowingly took his duffel bag full of $500,000. The ex husband was the right hand man for the boss of a crime syndicate in Seattle, WA. He was using the 500k to leave the business and disappear. But he was a cruel man and was taking his daughter (kidnapping) when he left the country. Jenna re-kidnapped her daughter and fled. She ended up on some backwoods road two hours east of Seattle at Fernhaven. From there the story goes into how to find her, people finding out real identities of other people, helicopters rides gone wrong, lots of murder, and Jenna randomly falling into lust with a ghost at Fernhaven.
This was a good story. It may have been short, 250 pages paperback, but the content was so condensed that it took a lot longer to read than some other longer paged books I have read recently.
It’s part of the ‘Intrigue’ series by Harlequin. Number 876 October if I’m reading the cover correctly. I haven’t read much Harlequin in the last few years but I am fascinated by greatness of this book. The last time I read Harlequin the covers were in white and red. This cover, and the few I got at the flea market, is purple with pictures on the bottom half. Perhaps I will invest more into these short stories.
When Twilight Comes is really a horrible title for this book. I could understand it for a vampire novel or something that had to do with the twilight but this book really has nothing to do with that. It should have been named something like ‘Fernhaven’s Refuge.’ I know that Harlequin needs catchy titles for their books but this one is so far off the mark that it feels like they just drew a name from a hat.
Aside from the miswritten title, this book was good to read. I am ready and willing to rate it 3.5 stars.

Publisher: Harlequin Intrigue
ISBN: 0-373-22876-7
Price: $4.99 (cover)
www.bjdaniels.com
www.eHarlequin.com

No comments:

Post a Comment