Monday, October 15, 2012

Winter Hearts by Anny Cook




Unity Brooks can't believe her eyes when she discovers evidence of illegal transactions in the company books. She presents the evidence to her supervisor, who listens attentively and even provides her with a comforting cup of coffee. Imagine her embarrassment when she wakes half-naked and bound in the arms of Aquila Johnson, the accountant auditing the books .After spending a stunning night with Unity, Quill is puzzled when she drops out of sight. His employer sends him home to investigate a case nearby until the media finds other scandals to focus on. When the two cases collide and Unity's life is threatened, they learn that sharing secrets is the safest way to stay alive.

Reading the above, Winter Hearts by Anny Cook is something that I couldn’t wait to read. It just sounded really good. With regret, I have to inform you that my review is not going to be a good one.
At the beginning of the book I was a little disappointed that the ‘stunning night’ in the closet with Quill and Unity was just a teaser. Then later in the book they are about to have oral sex and then they are interrupted. They do finally have sex but it was so tamely described that the lead up overhyped it and made it disappointing.
The idea behind this book that Quill and his family are angels/shapeshifters is a good one. It’s unique and interesting enough to draw in readers with just the idea. However the follow through was disappointing. When I was reading the book it felt like there was information I was missing. Perhaps some of the information came from another book and didn’t translate into this one…no. I looked up Anny Cook’s website and this is the first book in the series. What happened to the information? Why am I guessing at who half of the people are?
Overall the book was disappointing. I was intrigued with the idea but the follow through was missing something. I felt half lost, like I was missing important background information on the characters. I really don’t like giving bad reviews and I’m hoping that perhaps I accidently got an unfinished manuscript on my Nook rather than that the story is that bad…I hope because it should have been a good idea. Still in the end I can only give my review based on the information I have. I rate this book 2 stars. L

Publisher: Ellora’s Cave
ISBN: 9781419913723
Price: $1.49 (Kindle)

No comments:

Post a Comment